Thursday 10 September 2015

Clashing















Outfit details:
Dress and boots: Forever 21
Kimono: TK Maxx
Bag: charity shop
Belt: H&M
Earrings and black stone ring: Accessorize
Claw ring: Ad Hoc

Autumn has only just started to take a hold but, in eager anticipation of bright, crisp days, I found myself pulling out this kimono today. When I first saw it last year the rich colours and beautiful pattern instantly recalled the vibrant golds, reds and oranges of autumnal leaves. Pairing it with this turquoise lace dress seemed natural to me but I was told numerous times, from my boss to a shop assistant, that I was 'incredibly brave' for doing so. I didn't feel brave at all; in fact this outfit not only brightened the otherwise grey and gloomy day, but sticking out in the crowd of grey and black suits made me 100% more confident.

It makes me sad that so many women feel like they can't wear this or that because of so-and-so outdated rule, passed down through the generations. If you want to wear turquoise and orange? Go for it. Brown and navy? Why not? Gold and silver jewelry? Go crazy! Fashion is supposed to be fun, not regulated and kept in check. In my opinion it is one of our most important ways of expressing our own individuality - a way to mark ourselves as separate and unique. That's another of the reasons why I love fashion blogging. Seeing people across the world express themselves and stand out definitely brightens up the mundane cycle of work, eat, sleep. This is why I instantly skip any 'What Not to Wear' articles. Why would I want to dress like someone else? Or let some anonymous 'style expert' tell me that an outfit that makes me confident and happy is 'wrong'? So, moral of this rant/essay is: wear what you want, despite how 'brave' people think you are.





No comments:

Post a Comment